[libvirt] (resend) Problems with virt-manager checking access on virtual images.

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Fri Jan 30 14:06:38 UTC 2009

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 07:38:40AM -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>>
>> Met with Cole this morning and we talked about how SELinux can cause
>> people headaches when installing virtual images from random locations.
>>
>> User downloads a iso image to his home directory and then uses
>> virt-manager to install it.  Problem is when the user has the whole
>> thing configured, virt-manager tells libvirt to install.  It executes
>> qemu and SELinux prevents qemu from reading the iso image because it is
>> labeled user_home_t and qemu is not allowed to read the contents of the
>> home directory.  qemu blows up with permission denied and the user is at
>> a loss to what just happened.
>>
>> As we talked we realised this is not just an SELinux problem, but would
>> also happen if a use had an nfs homedir or potentially a samba home
>> directory where root was not allowed access.  Also pam_namespace would
>> cause problems, in the /tmp or /home/dwalsh would not be the same for
>> root as they are for the user.
>>
>> One solution to the SELinux problem is to have a label that virt-manager
>> could apply to the iso image (virt_content_ro_t).  This would allow qemu
>> to access the file as long as it had search access to the path to the
>> image.  solving most of these problems.  But the user could still have
>> an access problem that would be tough to diagnose.  We came up with the
>> idea of a running a simple helper application to check read access to
>> the image file.  During the install, virt-manager could tell libvirt to
>> verify access by executing "qemuaccess /home/dwalsh/windows.iso".  If
>> this executable was labeled qemu_exec_t like the other qemu images the
>> same SELinux transitions would happen and we could instantly figure out
>> if SELinux was going to cause problems.  As a side benefit we could also
>> check if NFS or samba would cause a problems.  If qemuaccess failed,
>> virt-manager could put up a diagnostic message suggesting SELinux, NFS,
>> or Samba might be a problem, and the user could move the iso image to
>> some directory like /var/lib/libvirt/isos/, where libirt would have access.
>
> I don't particularly like the idea of running another program to check
> this because SELinux context isn't the only thing which will potentially
> prevent QEMU accessing the disk image. CGroups device policy make prevent
> it. A setuid() call in QEMU to drop privileges, may prevent it. It may
> be asked to open it read-write, and only be able to open it read-only .
> It may want to take a lock on the image, but it already be locked, and
> so on. QEMU does already report pretty much the same error message as
> the qemuaccess program does when it is unable to access a disk image
>
> # virsh start demo
> libvir: QEMU error : internal error unable to start guest: qemu: could not open disk image /home/berrange/Fedora-9-i686-Live.iso
>
> IMHO, this all stems from a mistake I made when designing the original
> [...]
We discussed this also.  The only problem I see here is the additional
disk usage, since you would permanently keeping the iso, even though you
might only be using it once.  What about removable media, cdrom and usb
key isos.  Do you want to copy them to the /var/lib/libvirt/isos
directory also?

Are the isos in this directory going to be Read Only or can some qemus
read/write them?