[libvirt] Re: [fedora-virt] ANNOUNCE: New release virt-manager 0.8.0

Ján ONDREJ (SAL) ondrejj at salstar.sk
Wed Jul 29 10:21:38 UTC 2009

Hello,

  new virt-manager looks nice and is working well for me, but I have some
comments:

- gray color for "Not Connected" hosts looks a bit cold. I have aprox 10
  hosts configured and whole screen is cold. May be it will be nicer to
  add an image, like for running/stopped guest and also ability to
  connect/disconned by clicking on this image.

- host CPU usage is missing. In older virt-manager there was also CPU usage
  graphs on main screen for host, not only for guests

- guest CPU usage box is too high, if I have multiple hosts and guests,
  they need to be on multiple pages due to hight of this box.

- when tryed to force poweroff guest with older libvirt, guest was stopped,
  but python exception was raised. After update of libvirt from virt-preview
  repository this message disappeared.

- only one graph can be displayed. I have to choose, if I need network,
  disk or CPU graph and only one can be displayed. With older version
  there was multiple graphs available.

- in virt-manager icon on panel, can you please sort hosts in same order
  like in main window and may be hide "not connected" hosts (virt-manager
  icon can't do anything with non-connected hosts).

And one thing, which can make me happy. When I am trying virtual machines, I
often reinstall existing one. Then I need to boot from network and after
installation again from disk. I can't test new gPXE until it will work with
my F11 kernel, may be it's better with this, but with currently functional
bootrom I can't boot from disk if network boot is enabled and vice versa.
If my guest is set to boot from disk (after previous installation)
and I need to reinstall it, I have to do these steps:

  - click details panel (i)
  - click "Boot Options"
  - click on "Boot Device" menu
  - select "Network (PXE)" and confirm (click)
  - click "Apply"
  - click back to guest console
  - click start (play button)

If my guest was running and I have to force it off, these additional steps
are required:

  - click on "v" button right of poweroff button
  - click force off
  - click "Yes"

Can this process be a bit simplified, 7-10 steps are too many.
When testing development/rawhide systems, I have to repeat these steps
multiple times. Do we really need this "Apply" button. I looked a bit to
virt-manager sources and may be apply code can be called after boot device
was changed.

These are only suggestions for improvements. You can ignore them, if you
consider it non useful. :-)

Btw, virt-manager-0.8 in virt-preview can be useful. :-)

Thank you for a nice software.

			SAL