[libvirt] [Fwd: first cut public API for physical host interface configuration]

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 22:17:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 10:24 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> Simply that if the admin configures a new NIC using DHCP / IPV6 they will
> wish to know what address it got after it was brought online. libvirt
> does not have todo anything with these addresses, merely provide info
> about them in the XML for the interface. Applications using libvirt may
> do stuff with the addresses, for example they may wish todo a direct
> node<->node migration over an interface that's separate from the one
> used for talking to libvirtd. As such they'd need to know the IP addr
> of such an interface.

This sounds very much like a job for DNS + DHCP with fixed MAC/IP
mappings. libvirt might want to offer this IP lookup capability for
adhoc setups, but it encourages very bad administration practices.

> NB, I don't think this neccessarily has to be part of netcf library.

My objection isn't so much to where this should live, as that it's
unnecessary at best and wallpapers over broken setups/apps at worst.

David