[libvirt] Libvirt & VMware using bindings?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 13:54:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 09:26:30AM +0000, H Alexandre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can see on
> the home page that Libvirt supports Linux virtualization platform (Xen, KVM…)
> but in the bindings page mentions about other languages integration (perl &
> java for instance).
>
> I would
> like to know if there is a way (using those bindings) to use standard Libvirt based code
> to manage VMware virtualization platform ?

  Yes in recent versions of libvirt there is now code allowing to
handle ESX (and GSX), though we still need a driver page for it
under http://libvirt.org/drivers.html (any chance Matthias ;-) ?)

  See http://libvirt.org/search.php?query=VMWare&submit=Search
there are various post on this list about this

the URI format is:

  in general the following might be sufficient to establish a connection:

    esx://server_name

and once you have a connection well, it's like for any other hypervisor,
except you don't need to run libvirtd on the target host since it speaks
directly to the ESX server.

Matthias is the expert for this driver, I am not :-)