[libvirt] Fedora MinGW - need for *.def files

Paolo Bonzini pbonzini at redhat.com
Mon Nov 16 13:43:27 UTC 2009

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:20:23PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> On 11/16/2009 12:34 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> This method sounds appealing to me - we could likely auto-generate
>>> this file from the master src/libvirt_public.syms file we already
>>> have for Linux/Solaris
>>
>> So this:
>>
>> `-export-symbols SYMFILE'
>>       Tells the linker to export only the symbols listed in SYMFILE.
>>       The symbol file should end in `.sym' and must contain the name of
>>       one symbol per line.  This option has no effect on some platforms.
>>       By default all symbols are exported.
>>
>> does not work for MinGW?
>
> As I understand it [and note: I have *not* tried it] the documentation
> there is wrong for MinGW.  You should pass a *.def file as the
> parameter when the compiler target [ie. "host"] is Windows.

The libtool code suggests that in addition a .def file is accepted by
libtool on Windows hosts, but this is undocumented and the detection is
very simplistic:

            # exporting using user supplied symfile
             if test "x`$SED 1q $export_symbols`" != xEXPORTS; then
               # and it's NOT already a .def file.

So passing LIBRARY as the first line doesn't work. :-(

However, passing a simple one-symbol-per-line file should work.

Paolo