[libvirt] Safe? /etc/libvirt/qemu on shared storage?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 09:47:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 10:15:09AM +0200, James Brackinshaw wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a directory /mnt/shared-storage where the disk files for kvm
> live. Live migration works well, but I have a problem: after a
> migration I see two guests, one on the original host "shutoff" and one
> on the new host "running".
>
> I'd like to see the guest only on the host it is running on.
>
> Would it be safe/recommended to put the /etc/libvirt/qemu directory on
> shared storage? What would the best way of doing this be?
> Is this lock safe?

Absolutely NOT safe. It is only intended for single host use

If you're going to have a cluster of hosts between which you can move
guests, you should really aim to store all your master configs elsewhere
in shared storage, and either use transient guests (which have no
config in /etc/libvirt), or persistent guests and only have configs in
/etc/libvirt for the guests which happens to be running on that node

Using some kind of cluster management software is a good idea to safely
deal with this