[libvirt] Re: Libvir Xen and domain events

Christopher Pyper chris at vmdevlabs.com
Fri Oct 9 22:46:40 UTC 2009

I have been looking into registering some domain events though the
python Libvir API.  However, I am getting errors and I believe it may
be due to lack of event support in Xen.  This is the error I am getting:

libvir: Xen error : this function is not supported by the hypervisor:
xenUnifiedDomainEventRegister
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./testcallback.py", line 19, in ?
     conn.domainEventRegister(callback,None)
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1578, in
domainEventRegister
     if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virConnectDomainEventRegister
() failed', conn=self)
libvirt.libvirtError: this function is not supported by the
hypervisor: xenUnifiedDomainEventRegister

If this lack of support is the case, what would you recommend is the
best route for catching domain events?  Currently, I am thinking of
just polling regularly and monitoring for changes in domain state.

Cheers.

Chris Pyper.

P.S. Libvir is awesome.