[libvirt] libvirt: use existing network bridge

Sascha Frey sfrey at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Fri Oct 23 12:24:24 UTC 2009

Daniel Berteaud wrote:
[...]
>> > I just want libvirt to attach the guest's tap devices to this existing
>> > bridge. I don't want libvirt to manage the network.
>> >
>> > Is there any chance to realize this set-up?
>> > It should work with virt-manager using the graphical wizard.
>>
>> Yes, just don't define a new network.  To use existing bridges, you just need to
>> edit your guest XML files to use something like:
>>
>>     <interface type='bridge'>
>>       <mac address='00:16:3e:4a:f6:89'/>
>>       <source bridge='br0'/>
>>     </interface>
>>
>> Note that configured bridges should also show up in virt-manager, I believe.
>
>Existing bridge shows up in virt-manager when run on the local machine.
>If you use a remote connection (at least qemu+ssh), you don't see it,
>you need to manually edit the guest XML.

Bridges with physical ethernet interfaces attached are listed.
Bridges with a dummy interface attached are not.

I'm not sure why, but I think libvirt gets its information from HAL and
HAL doesn't see these dummy interfaces.

I need to set up a system, which allows a non-root user to create a
virtual machine using some graphical interface.
And the most important part is: we need a secure network configuration
with strict packet filtering and custom DHCP setup.

It doesn't seem to be possible that libvirt uses my manually defined
network bridges without manual editing the guests XML files.

Regards,
Sascha