[libvirt] How many domains can be created and run in parallel in a Host.

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri May 14 15:52:16 UTC 2010

On 05/13/2010 11:42 PM, Kumar L Srikanth-B22348 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a general doubt regarding Virtual Domains in libvirt.
>
> How many Virtual Domains can be created and run in parallel [at max] in
> a host machine using libvirt.

The answer is machine- and hypervisor-dependent, but in general, libvirt
itself does not place any arbitrary restrictions on the hardware limit;
you can run as many parallel VMs as you can create before you run out of
memory or other resources.  Or, to be more precise, libvirt should not
place any arbitrary restrictions; if you encounter such a restriction,
please report it as a bug.

For an example of a non-arbitrary restriction, libvirt 0.8.1 can only
support 64k-5900 simultaneous VNC connections to VMs (because there are
only that many TCP/UDP ports).  Contrast this with libvirt 0.7.7, where
the limit was hard-coded to 100 simultaneous VNC connections - that is,
we fixed the bug by removing the hard-coded limit.