[libvirt] python module set-up ignores virInitialize failure

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue May 18 10:43:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:32:13PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> I've just fixed code in a test that ignored virInitialize failure.
> Looking at all uses, I saw one other: in python/libvirt-override.c,
> where the initialization function ignores virInitialize failure:
>
>   void
>   #ifndef __CYGWIN__
>   initlibvirtmod
>   #else
>   initcygvirtmod
>   #endif
>     (void)
>   {
>       static int initialized = 0;
>
>       if (initialized != 0)
>           return;
>
>       virInitialize();
>
>       /* initialize the python extension module */
>       Py_InitModule((char *)
>   #ifndef __CYGWIN__
>                     "libvirtmod"
>   #else
>                     "cygvirtmod"
>   #endif
>                     , libvirtMethods);
>
>       initialized = 1;
>   }
>
> Unfortunately, this function is public, so we can't change its signature.

More specifically, the signature is defined by Python's loadable
module interface so we're not at liberty to redeclare that.

> Any suggestions?

abort()

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|