[libvirt] [RFD] Add/Modify some API functions about Host Information

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jan 20 15:20:20 UTC 2011

>>   * virSysinfoRead()
>>     This API is completely internal.
>>     But DMI type1 information(dmidecode -t1) is useful for above
>>     purpose, because it's one of the information which suppose to
>>     processing capacity about host machine.
>>
>>     I want to export virSysinfoRead() to user.
>
> I wouldn't want to export the API, because that would require
> us to expose some complex structures in the public ABI. I
> think we'd just want to expose the data in the host capabilities
> XML, or have an API to query the XML of just the sysinfo on its
> own.

You are not the first person to request some way of getting at the
host's sysinfo from a libvirt API, so the idea of exporting something
makes sense (just not virSysinfoRead in its current form).  Personally,
I like the idea of:

char *virConnectGetSysinfo(virConnectPtr)

which returns just the XML <sysinfo> block for a given host.  Also,
including <sysinfo> in the larger XML of virCopnnectGetCapabilities()
makes sense.