[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] live snapshot wiki updated

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jul 21 14:51:48 UTC 2011

On 07/21/2011 08:19 AM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> There is a difference between upgrading to pick up additional features
> and forced upgrade.
>
> It is not just a question of libvirt possibly reviewing a file format,
> it is also having two codebases that needs to be implemented and maintained.

Then give us a libblockid.so that provides a stable interface, and which
is also used by qemu to manage QED, qcow3, ..., so that libvirt can rely
on the stable library interface rather than having to learn new file
formats all the time.

But yes, we already had to upgrade libvirt code to parse qed formats,
and anyone wanting to use qed via libvirt has to do a lockstep upgrade
of both qemu and libvirt, because no one has yet written a nice shared
library that can do it on our behalf through a stable API.