[libvirt] Live Migration UDP implementation

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed May 25 16:26:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 11:23:55PM +0530, prakash hr wrote:
> Hi all,
> For my academic project to analyse the Performance of transport protocols in
> Live Migration of Virtual Machines.I have configured the live migration
> using tcp and I succeed the live migration.
> Now for my further remaining project work I need to do the same thing for
> the UDP implemataiton.When I changed the command in virsh, (My fianl command
> in TCP isvirsh migrate --live ubuntu21 qemu+ssh://172.16.17.23/system tcp://
> 172.16.17.23:444) to udp it is not workng. It is given that qemu embeds user
> mode network stack which includes tcp,dhcp,udp.etc within the wemu process.
> Its giving the error no API found for UDP.
> ---Now i want to implement the patch file for migration using UDP if
> possible.

IMHO doing migration over UDP is crazy, because migration needs to be
reliable, so you'll end up having to reimplemnt most of TCP features
in your UDP migration code. In any case, this is something that would
have to be done in QEMU code, rather than libvirt.

> ---Where I should change the API in order to perform the live migration
> using UDP.
>
> ---Is any patch file available so that modifying that patch file will
> perform the Live Migration using UDP.

This would be the QEMU migration code, rather than libvirt.

> --Is there any other transport layer protocols can be used instead of TCP
> during Live migration.?

Not currently.

> --How about using RUDP instead of TCP.

Best to take all these questions to the QEMU mailing list

Regards,x