[libvirt] [RFC Patch 0/3]virsh: Enable env support for virsh logging

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu May 26 20:00:03 UTC 2011

>>> This is exactly the opposite to LIBVIRT_DEBUG=<log level>  which
>>> has
>>>
>>>  *    1: DEBUG
>>>  *    2: INFO
>>>  *    3: WARNING
>>>  *    4: ERROR
>>>
>>> IMHO, these need to be kept the same.
>>
>> Through out virsh.c, the vshDebug is called with the assumption that
>> DEBUG=4 or 5. Also, any higher log level record than user specified
>> log level, doesn't get displayed as per vshDebug() code. So there
>> was no
>> match between the enum definition and the code written.
>> vshDebug(vshControl *ctl, int level, const char *format, ...)
>> {
>>     vshOutputLogFile(ctl, 5, format, ap);
>>     va_end(ap);
>>
>>     if (level > ctl->debug)
>>         return;

Based on Daniel's comments, that means that we need to change this
logic; instead of being 'if (level > ctl->debug)' where the most verbose
levels are high, we should instead use 'if (level <= ctl->debug)'.

Or, to make it even easier, we should have a helper function:

if (vshSkipLog(ctl, level))
  return;

in one patch, then the next patch has to touch _only_ vshSkipLog to
implement changed logic in compliance with the rest of libvirtd logging
levels.

Ultimately, I still think this is all doable without breaking 'virsh -d'
handling, but it may take some careful effort, and if it slips until
after 0.9.2, that's okay with me.