[libvirt] ESX: failure while performing "CastFromAnyType"

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 21 20:59:10 UTC 2012

2012/7/20 Ata Bohra <ata.husain at hotmail.com>:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> As promised, below is the patch demonstrating the issue. One thing I lied
> was its not enum that I missed but I missed one of the data objects
> extended.
> ------------------------------
>
>  Patch is only to demonstrate the misleading error warning if
>  one extended data objects is not defined and an attempt to
>  "CastFromAny" is done on the base object.
>
> HostHostBusAdapter is extended by:
> HostBlockHba, HostInternetScsiHba, HostFibreChannelHba and
> HostParallelScsiHba.
>
> In this demo, definition of HostParallelHba is missing from
> esx_vi_generator.input.

Okay, I see what you mean. In case you call
esxVI_HostHostBusAdapter_CastFromAnyType for a HostHostBusAdapter
object that is actually a HostParallelHba then you get this error
message:

  Call to esxVI_HostHostBusAdapter_CastFromAnyType for unexpected type '<other>'

I have improved this to report the actual type:

  Call to esxVI_HostHostBusAdapter_CastFromAnyType for unexpected type
'HostBlockHba'

Here's the patch for this

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2012-July/msg01148.html

--