[libvirt] make dist failed

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Jun 13 04:10:24 UTC 2012

On 06/12/2012 09:07 PM, Wen Congyang wrote:

>> We really shouldn't need to compile a file for a virgin 'make dist' to
>> work, but now I have enough information to repeat it.  It may be a while
>> before I have a clean solution, though, since every thing I try implies
>> nuking my tree and starting from a fresh clone module my patch attempt.

I now have 'make dist' works; if it also passes the longer 'make
distcheck' on a virgin tree, then I will push my patch under the
build-breaker rule (patch in separate mail).  The bug was that we had a
file in the tarball that depended on a generated file, which is a no-no.
 We really need to ship remote_protocol-structs, and we also want 'make
check' to ensure that file is up-to-date (which includes a dependency on
a generated file), but a little bit of refactoring makes it so that
'make check' need not interfere with 'make dist', by having the two
targets depend on different names.

>>> I revert some commits and test the building. I find that this problem is
>>> introduced by the commit 7bff56a0d1514cb955eb14adc14281626e80e96c.
>>
>> That was fixing real bugs, but I'm not surprised that other latent bugs
>> were exposed in the process.
>>

> Yes, that commit fixes a bug, but introduce a new bug.

Not a new bug, but a latent one.  The bug has been present since July
2011 (commit 62dee6f), but it was the refactoring of commit 7bff56a that
exposed it better.