[libvirt] [libvirt-glib 2/3] Add host capabilities API

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu May 3 11:53:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 01:11:26PM +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 09:04:00PM +0300, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> > On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > What would be these getters apart from the already existing _get_name?
> >
> > The features under 'guest' can have boolean attributes, 'default' and
> > 'toggle'.
>
> Ah indeed thanks.
>
> > According to RNG and examples I have seen so far, 'feature'
> > in the context can't have props but I recall Daniel said on IRC that
> > the RNG is wrong and these nodes can have props too. Any ways, he
> > suggests we keep a class for both 'feature's and I didn't see any harm
> > in that.
>
> I'm not 100% sure what "both" refers to here, since I can see 3 different
> features, /guest/features, /host/cpu/feature and /host/cpu/features. Given
> that feature/features are treated the same for host capabilities,

Guest features (capabilities XML) - these are really just capabilities of
the hypervisor in general

Host CPU features (capabilities XML) - individual CPU feature flags (ala
/proc/cpuinfo flags on host)

Guest CPU featrures (domain XML) - individual CPU feature flags (ala
/proc/cpuinfo flags in the guest)

The schema for Guest CPU features is a superset of the schema for
Host CPU features. My preference is thus to use the same class for
both of these.