[libvirt] The config of IP address for 'macvtap' network

Lei Li lilei at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue May 15 08:57:29 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

I know the macvtap network is supported by libvirt as forward mode
'passthrough', I wonder is there anyway to configure the IP address
for its interface?

For example, If I create a network as below:

<network>
   <name>vdsm-testnet</name>
   <uuid>31f6b3b3-e959-0dd1-ad3a-bf95db660415</uuid>
   <forward dev='eth0.8' mode='passthrough'>
     <interface dev='eth0.8'/>
   </forward>
</network>

For now, I have to set the IP address by 'ifconfig eth0.8 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX'
after defining the network.

How can I set IP address for this VLAN device 'eth0.8' by libvirt, I mean
does libvirt support to assign IP address in this mode now? If does, what is the
xml format for it?

It'd appreciate a lot if anybody could read my post and give me some suggestions!

--
Lei