[libvirt] RFC: Any interest in a weekly(?) dev community meeting ?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 16 17:53:50 UTC 2014

Hi Libvirt team,

A number of opensource projects have weekly meetings between their community
of contributors to facilitate their day-to-day working and particularly
to resolve roadblocks that people are having.

I feel that libvirt is large enough, with contributors from many different
organizations, that a meeting could be beneficial to our operation. This
could serve a number of purposes

 - Remind us of patches that have been posted and accidentally forgotten
   by reviewers

 - Resolve hard debates that are not making adequate progress on the
   mailing list(s)

 - Track progress of major ongoing pieces of work with many collaborators

 - Forum for those new to the community to introduce themselves & their
   ideas before starting work

 - Discuss release critical bugs during freeze periods

 - Place for downstream users of libvirt (eg openstack/ovirt/etc) to
   interact with libvirt team.

 - Place for projects we use (eg KVM, Xen) to interact with libvirt
   team.

I like to keep the overhead of this low, so I'd suggest we try todo it
on IRC, since that has been fairly effective for OpenStack teams.

If people think this is worth while I'd suggest an arbitrary time of
1500 UTC using the #virt-meeting IRC channel on irc.oftc.net, to last an
absolute max of 1 hour. Currently this time point works out as

    08:00 San Francisco
    11:00 Boston
    15:00 UTC
    16:00 London