[Linux-cluster] GFS volume already mounted or /mnt busy?

bigendian at gmail.com bigendian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 19:50:36 UTC 2006

Hello Robert,

The other node was previously rebuilt for another temporary purpose and
isn't attached to the SAN.  The only thing I can think of that might have
been out of the ordinary is that I may have pulled the power on the machine
while it was shutting down during some file system operation.  The disk
array itself never lost power.

I do have another two machines configured in a different cluster attached to
the SAN.  CLVM on machines in the other cluster does show the volume that I
am having trouble with though those machines do not mount the device.  Could
this have caused the trouble?

More importantly, is there a way to repair the volume?  I can see the device
with fdisk -l and gfs_fsck completes with errors, but mount attempts always
fail with the "mount: /dev/etherd/e1.1 already mounted or /gfs busy" error.
I don't know how to debug this at a lower level to understand why this error
is happening.  Any pointers?

Here's what I get from vgdisplay:
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               gfs_vol2
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  3
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  Clustered             yes
  Shared                no
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                1
  Open LV               0
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               1.77 TB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              465039
  Alloc PE / Size       445645 / 1.70 TB
  Free  PE / Size       19394 / 75.76 GB
  VG UUID               3ngpos-p9iD-yB5i-vfUp-YQHf-2tVa-vqiSFA

Thanks for your input.  Any help is appreciated!

Tom