[Linux-cluster] Is fenced service started ?

Mathieu Avila mathieu.avila at seanodes.com
Tue Jun 6 16:38:31 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to automate the starting and stopping of a GFS filesystem
(GFS 6.1). I am doing these things :
- On start :
/etc/init.d/ccsd start
/etc/init.d/cman start
/etc/init.d/fenced start
/etc/init.d/gfs start
And then mount -t gfs device mountpoint
- On stop :
umount device,
/etc/init.d/gfs stop
/etc/init.d/fenced stop
/etc/init.d/cman stop
/etc/init.d/ccsd stop

This goes fine most of the time, but not always. Sometimes I get things
like this:
"lock_dlm: fence domain not found; check fenced" in syslog at mount
time, although /etc/init.d/fenced was properly started. In fact, the
fence daemon did not have enough time to initialize itself completely
(/etc/cluster/services).

The same can happen if i start immediately after a stop, as the fencing
daemon does not have time to completely exit when i try to run it again.

Is there a clean way to test if fenced is completely started or failed ?
Looping over /etc/cluster/services does not sound appropriate and quite
clean. Doing a "sleep 10" is not a good option neither.

Any idea is welcome.

--
Mathieu Avila