[Linux-cluster] Fencing using APC7921

James Lapthorn james.lapthorn at lapthornconsulting.com
Tue Apr 24 11:31:18 UTC 2007

I use RSA II cards as my primary fencing device on my IBM 3850's.  After
some modifications to the 'fence_rsa' script it now recognises
'WMN170370264' as the default card name.

My secondary fencing device is and APC Power Switch APC7921.  This is not a
Masterswitch plus so there are two APC7921's, one for each POwer supply.
When testing the the device using the following command:

fence_apc -a 10.179.20.52 -l apc -p apc -n 4 -v

I get:

failed: unrecognised menu response

Here;s is the output from the /tmp/apclog.txt
User Name : apc
Password  : ***

American Power Conversion               Network Management Card AOS
v2.7.0
(c) Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved  Rack PDU APP
v2.7.3
Name      : RackPDU                                   Date : 10/24/2000
Contact   : Unknown                                   Time : 11:45:43
Location  : Unknown                                   User : Administrator
Up Time   : 64 Days 0 Hours 51 Minutes                Stat : P+ N+ A+

Switched Rack PDU: Communication Established

------- Control Console

     1- Device Manager
     2- Network
     3- System
     4- Logout

     <ESC>- Main Menu, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log

------- Control Console

     1- Device Manager
     2- Network
     3- System
     4- Logout

     <ESC>- Main Menu, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log

American Power Conversion               Network Management Card AOS
v2.7.0
(c) Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved  Rack PDU APP
v2.7.3
Name      : RackPDU                                   Date : 10/24/2000
Contact   : Unknown                                   Time : 11:45:43
Location  : Unknown                                   User : Administrator
Up Time   : 64 Days 0 Hours 51 Minutes                Stat : P+ N+ A+

Switched Rack PDU: Communication Established

------- Control Console

     1- Device Manager
     2- Network
     3- System
     4- Logout

     <ESC>- Main Menu, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log

------- Control Console

     1- Device Manager
     2- Network
     3- System
     4- Logout

     <ESC>- Main Menu, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log
> 1

------- Device Manager

     1- Phase Monitor/Configuration
     2- Outlet Restriction Configuration
     3- Outlet Control/Configuration
     4- Power Supply Status

     <ESC>- Back, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log
> 3

------- Outlet Control/Configuration

     1- leoukpdb4                ON
     2- leoukldb4                ON
     3- leoukpdb3                ON
     4- leoukldb3                ON
     5- leoukpdb2                ON
     6- leoukldb2                ON
     7- leoukpdb1                ON
     8- leoukldb1                ON
     9- Master Control/Configuration

[...]

Has anybody else had problem with the APC7921.  I am going to assume it's
because the APC want the telnet session to type 'YES' to confirm.