[Linux-cluster] Re: How do you verify/test fencing?

Gary Romo garromo at us.ibm.com
Wed May 7 22:36:34 UTC 2008

We are using multicast address.
I know how to physically test wether fencing is happening or not, but what
commands can you ask the cluster to report on fencing?
I don't see any, but wanted to double check with the group.  Thanks.

Gary Romo

"Brandon Young" <bkyoung at gmail.com>
Sent by: linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com
05/07/2008 12:14 PM
Please respond to
linux clustering <linux-cluster at redhat.com>

"linux clustering" <linux-cluster at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [Linux-cluster] Re: How do you verify/test fencing?

Unplug the heartbeat cable.

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:19 AM, Chris Picton <lists at tangent.co.za> wrote:
On Tue, 06 May 2008 17:35:04 -0400, Lon Hohberger wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 14:37 -0600, Gary Romo wrote:
>>
>> Is there a command that you can run to test/veryify that fencing is
>> working properly?
>> Or that it is part of the fence if you will? I realize that the primary
>> focus of the fence is to shut off the other server(s).
>> However, when I have a cluster up, how can I determine that all of my
>> nodes are properly fenced?
>

> * For testing whether or not fencing works, stop the cluster software on
> all the nodes and run 'fence_node <nodename>' (where nodename is a host
> you're not working on).
>
> * For testing whether or not a node will be fenced as a matter of
> recovery, try 'cman_tool services'.  If that node's ID isn't in the
> "fence" section, it will not be fenced if it fails.

These two step will not test that a node will be fenced automatically if
it is malfunctioning.

What can be done to a cluster node, to test that it will be automatically
fenced if there is a problem.