[Linux-cluster] CS5 / heart beat tuning

Alain Moulle Alain.Moulle at bull.net
Thu May 22 07:36:01 UTC 2008

Hi Lon

OK it seems I miss some big evolutions with CS5 versus CS4 ...
Where can I find a short documentation (or all documentation)
to understand all evolutions of CS5 , like openais , etc. ?

Thanks
Regards
Alain Moullé

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 17:22 +0200, Alain Moulle wrote:

>> Hi Lon
>>
>> Something bothers me about the CS5 defaut heart-beat timeout :
>> you wrote that it was now default 5s instead of 21s with CS4.
>> So : what is the new default period for HELLO messages ? because
>> it was also 5s with CS4 ...

There are no hello messages in rhel5; check 'man openais.conf' and look
at the sections dealing with 'totem'.

On RHEL5 with CMAN, the default totem 'token' timeout is 10000 (I
thought it was 5000, but looking at the code proved differently on lines
487-492 of cman/daemon/ais.c).

I still don't understand why it your configuration would be behaving as
if totem's token timeout was increased to 21,000 though...

>> And a strange thing : I have already tested several times
>> the failover with CS5 without any totem record in cluster.conf
>> (just a remaining deadnode_timer="21" in cman record) and when
>> I stopped one node, the other proceed to fence after 21s ... not 5s ..

That's strange.  Deadnode_timer is ignored in the RHEL5 branch.

-- Lon