[Linux-cluster] Fwd: GFS volume hangs on 3 nodes after gfs_grow

Bob Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 18:59:11 UTC 2008

----- "Alan A" <alan.zg at gmail.com> wrote:
| Again thanks for the fast and prompt response Bob.
|
| I will try to reproduce the problem with gfs_grow.
|
| One more question regarding GFS - what steps would you recommend (if
| any)
| for growing and shrinking active GFS volume?

Hi Alan,

Neither GFS or GFS2 volumes cannot be shrunk.  Eventually I
need to start working on a gfs2_shrink tool for gfs2, but I
don't think GFS will ever be able to shrink.

As for growing, it sounds like you're already familiar with
that.  You just do something like:

lvresize or lvextend the logical volume
mount the gfs volume to a mount point
gfs_grow /your/mount/point

It's probably safest to do gfs_grow when there is not a lot of
system activity.  For example, at night when the system is not
being beat up by lots of I/O.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Clustering & GFS