[Linux-cluster] GFS Mount Problem

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 16:07:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:29:51AM -0500, Leo Pleiman wrote:
> I have a 7 node virtualized RHEL5.3 cluster. All nodes mount mulitple gfs
> filesystems. One node only only of the file systems won't mount. I know
> (from a previous incident) that rebooting the node will clear the problem.
> Below is some information, I'd appreciate any help to resolve this without
> rebooting the node.
>
> [root at rdccluster2-5 ~]# umount /decennial/
> umount: /decennial/: not mounted
> [root at rdccluster2-5 ~]# mount /decennial
> /sbin/mount.gfs: fs is being unmounted
> /sbin/mount.gfs: error mounting lockproto lock_dlm

Seems something went wrong with an unmount; gfs_controld thinks the unmount is
still in progress.  Does 'ps' show any unmount still running?  Does
/proc/mounts show the fs still mounted in the kernel?  What does group_tool -v
show about the fs's?  If the kernel portion of the unmount is done, and you can
unmount any other gfs fs's, then you should be able to kill gfs_controld, stop
the cluster on this node and restart it.

Dave