[Linux-cluster] Monitoring Failovers

Burton Simonds burton at simondsfamily.com
Fri Feb 20 19:25:06 UTC 2009

I have 2 thoughts.  I was looking at the output of the clustat -l
command and i noticed it has a 'last transition' timestamp.  I was
thinking about looking at that and using it to create an alarm that
says "The last transition happened less than X minutes ago or
something like that.   It is a little sketchy, but could be a
possibility, and most of the code needed has already by the author of
check_rhcs script that i found, I believed authored by Chris St.
Pierre.  (If this is incorrect, please let me know as the author
should be credited.)

My second thought was a little more complicated and would require more
work, but basically using syslog-ng's parsing capiblities, I would
send all cluster service messages to a script that would parse and
look for failover messages.  The messages could be sent to NSCA.

I am going to try the first one, and see if it can meet my needs, then
maybe work on the second.

Thanks,