[Linux-cluster] NFS/GFS performance tuning

Corey Kovacs corey.kovacs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 23:04:12 UTC 2009

Figuring max xfer over a 1G network is 125MBs (100 is reality). Put
the overhead of
NFS into the mix and you go somewhat lower, around 60MB max, then are you using
tcp or udp?   There are lots of small things that can be done.

/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
/proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max

can be bumped to increase the network stack buffers, which can aid in
NFS xfer greatly.

All in all, what you are seeing doesn't seem too bad. Best test is,
can you stand it. If you
don't require anything more, then maybe you'll be just fine. On the
other hand if you need
more write throuput, you can prolly get a few more megs if you really hunt.

By the way, you don't say what's on the back end? How many clients and
hence how many
threads do you plan on running etc. All things to consider.

-Corey