[Linux-cluster] GFS block size

Jeff Sturm jeff.sturm at eprize.com
Fri Dec 17 22:53:54 UTC 2010

One of our GFS filesystems tends to have a large number of very small
files, on average about 1000 bytes each.

I realized this week we'd created our filesystems with default options.
As an experiment on a test system, I've recreated a GFS filesystem with
"-b 1024" to reduce overall disk usage and disk bandwidth.

Initially, tests look very good-single file creates are less than one
millisecond on average (down from about 5ms each).  Before I go very far
with this, I wanted to ask:  Has anyone else experimented with the block
size option, and are there any tricks or gotchas to report?

(This is with CentOS 5.5, GFS 1.)

-Jeff