[Linux-cluster] How to run same service in parallel in RedHat Cluster 5.0

Ruben Sajnovetzky rsajnove at cisco.com
Tue Sep 27 21:29:54 UTC 2011

Hello,

I¹m in the process of design a solution replacement to a Veritas
implementation and have to find similar functionalities, not
sure if this is doable in Red Hat Clutser:

    We have a distributed application that runs in several servers
simultaneously and that application must run in a cluster environment.
    The summary is as follows:

        1. Application has two different roles for the Servers, one we could
call ³Central Server² and the others ³Collectors².
        2. Application has one Central Server and X Collector Servers.
        3. Central Server + Collector Servers represents a set of servers
that must be running all time and we want to implement
           two sets in order to implement failovers between them.
        4. First issue I have:
                Application is installed in all servers at same location,
let us say ³/opt/app² and I want to monitor it in all them (i.e.:
                different, separated, independent instances in separated
servers).
                In Veritas we had ³fscentral² and ³fscollector², both with
same device name and mounting point and that worked fine,
                (of course, both resources were part of different service
groups and running in different servers).
                I tried to do the same here and got an error:

>>>  clurgmgrd[9374]: <err> Unique attribute collision. type=fs attr=mountpoint
>>> value=/opt
>>>  clurgmgrd[9374]: <err> Error storing fs resource
>>>
>>   Then, I assume should be a different way to implement this resource? Notice
>> that the number of Collectors is variable so I
>>   can¹t say ³collector 1 will be mounted as /opt1² or ³collector 1 will have
>> volume name as vol1².
>>
> 5. Second issue I have:
>
>         How I can run the ³service² ³app collector² in more than one server
> simultaneously (in parallel)?
>         Again, the option to have ³X² services for ³X² Collectors is not a
> real option here.

Any idea will be appreciated!!!