[Linux-cluster] cannot run cluster service

Andrew Denton andrewd at sterling.net
Wed Oct 10 15:27:02 UTC 2012

On 10/10/2012 12:06 AM, Shanti Pahari wrote:
> I have cluster setup with 2 node and created web cluster service on it
> but it cannot run.
>
> I have not listed anything in lvm.conf volume_list because once I add
> anything in volume_list and reboot the system then I cannot mount and
> even cannot read the lv which I created for my web . It throws error as
>
> error message "not activating volume group lv does not pass activation
> filter"
>
> Therefore I didn't add anything in lvm.conf . Then I try to start my
> cluster servers for web server but the service failed.

I've seen this failure too when building my cluster. You either need to
add the system's volume groups to volume_list, or tag the system's vgs
with the @hostname so it can still activate them.
e.g.
    volume_list = [ "vg_pdcpicpl01", "@PDC-PIC-PL-CL1", "@PDC-PIC-PL-CL2" ]
on one node and
    volume_list = [ "vg_pdcpicpl02", "@PDC-PIC-PL-CL1", "@PDC-PIC-PL-CL2" ]
on the other. Next it will complain about initrd being older than
lvm.conf, so I've been running
# mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`
Not sure if that's the right command but it works for me =)

One of these days I'm going to tag the system's vgs properly so I can
use the same lvm.conf across the nodes. I think it's something like
lvchange --addtag PDC-PIC-PL-CL1 vg_pdcpicpl01/lv_root
etc...

By the way, to display how things are tagged, you have to do
lvs -o +tags
I wish it displayed them in lvdisplay, but it doesn't.

-- Andrew