[linux-lvm] Gated and Re: FAQ Question not found

Nicolas Brouard brouard at ined.fr
Wed Dec 1 16:07:04 UTC 1999

Thanks a lot to people having answer my naive question : experimenting LVM on a laptop with only one physical hard disk.

I haven't had the opportunity to test LVM with my new 6.4Gb (Toshiba) on my Dell Xpi 133MHZ laptop.
The reason is that I got problems with this disk during a fdisk action: I partitionned the disk with one primary partition for Windows98 and an extended partition for the rest of the disk. I used WIndows fdisk for creating windows primary and extended partitions and used Linux fdisk to create linux partitions within the extended partitions. The problem I got is that the controller of the disk tried to read, apparently, wrong sectors, and started to make noise and bangs. I stopped the computer and rebooted with the already defined partitions (Windows and linux) and it worked. But when I tried to use fdisk on windows to create other partitions like D: for windows,  it started again to bang and this time it was fatal. The disk was no more recognized at boot time (it is not a MBR problem but a hardware problem) and I am waiting for a new disk from the constructor even if I don't know  the reason for the break. So, I haven't had time to play with LVM with this disk!

Concurrently I also upgraded my desktop, a Dell XPs 166 MHZ, from 2.6 GB to 8.4 GB. I downloaded the new bios and the sytem was now able to recognize the disk in auto mode. I have been able to setup again Windows and Linux (using xcopy32 for Windows and a simple tar for Linux) by copying the old disk on the new one (on a desktop we have place for two disks, not on a laptop).

Everything was fine. But looking at the WEB on how to do easier partitionning, I founded "Partition magic" (on WIndows) which is commercial and  "parted" on Linux which is free but still experimental. I installed parted on linux. But unfortunately, parted told me that the real size of my new disk did not correspond to what was written in the master boot record. In fact gated was correct, the Dell Bios (even if updated) did a wrong translation address and  I was losing 500 Mb.

I lacked of courage to force the Dell bios to work with fixed Cylinder Head (I am under but close to the 8.4 GB limit) and to reformat all the Windows and Linux partitions and to reimplement everything.

So, now  I have a working system but I am not able to play with partitions and to implement LVM. But I discovered the existence of "gated", even if I haven't been able to experiment it.

And here is my question:
Is "gated" a serious alternative to LVM? I am not trying to add "online" a new disk and, still online, remove the old one, with a nice LVM which tranparently copies the old disk to the new one. That kind of operation was possible on AIX LVM. But I am simply trying to find a tool which increases progressively the size of my different partitions according to my changing needs. "Gated" seemed to do the job.

Any remark on gated?

Nicolas Brouard
brouard at ined.fr