[linux-lvm] RAID and LVM?

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Mon Jul 26 00:12:17 UTC 1999

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Luca Berra wrote:

  i checked alan cox's linux-2.2.10-ac12 pacth wich includes
  a heavily modified raid and lvm0.6 patch.
  i added my devfs patch
  http://www.comedia.it/bluca/lvm/devfs-patch-v99.4-2.2.10-ac12.gz
  and i was able to create and use a vg on a raid 1 device

cool! Tell me, how is md_make_request in md.c defined? The old way,
or the new way:

int md_make_request (struct buffer_head * bh, int rw)

this is what's been causing me problems.

  todo: adding the diffs to the latest raid and lvm patches,
  		incremental diff for those can be found at
  		http://www.comedia.it/bluca/lvm/
  	checking autodetect, especially with both raid and
  		lvm loaded as modules. raid autorun happens before
  		and after initrd, now i need it during initrd.

i noticed lvm does autodetect based on partition ID. Raid does
aswell. So how can we do autodetection for LVM on RAID? The md device
won't have a partition id, and the underlying device will have to
have a RAID partition ID for RAID to autodetect it.

Can LVM check for some magic within each block device and use that to
decide whether a device is a PV or not?

  Regards,
  Luca

regards,