[linux-lvm] Re: root filesystem in lvm

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Wed Jun 2 12:22:11 UTC 1999

On Wed, Jun 02, 1999 at 06:43:23AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> How would LILO deal with a kernel image spread over several physical
> partitions (or even disks) (in case you not only want a root fs on LVM but
> a striped/mirrored/trucmuched one) ?
Hard, real hard, lilo uses only bios calls, and in 512bytes
you just cannot fit anithing better, all other os that use lvm
have a /stand partition at the beginning of the disk,
it can be mirrored but it must necessarily be contiguous

> > If included statically in the kernel the lvm driver could
> > execute the equivalent of a vgchange -ay and we should be able to
> > mount the root file system.
>
> That would be really neat.  The initrd workaround is just that: a workaround.

i personally love modular kernels, so i'd use initrd anyway, but
i agree vgchange -a y could be handled by the kernel.

but i also believe that this would be easier to debug/mantain in
user space.
L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
    Communications Media & Services S.r.l.