Re: [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs

At 02:43 AM 10/3/99 , Harald Milz wrote:
Drew Smith <drew winterland mainland ab ca> wrote:

>       IBM's ADSM(*) (well, TSM now, thanks to Tivoli) uses raw logical
> volumes on a fairly native level as storage pools, etc.  I'm curious,
> having never looked into raw IO under Linux, whether it's the same
> principles - and, that said, whether or not IBM will be porting the TSM
> server to Linux?

This is a bit off topic, buy hey. ADSM (TSM) actually gives you the option of using either files or raw i/o. I don't see that there would be any problems with a Linux port of the server. They could simply disable the ability to use raw i/o for your disk storage pools, log volumes, and db volumes. What may pose a problem is the amount of disk space required for a significant ADSM server. If you're looking at a half terabyte or more of disks, you may run into the limit of Linux major/minor numbers for SCSI disks. (Btw: I'm unclear on whether the devfs patch resolves this?)
-Daniel
Daniel Whicker (heimdall mail org)