[linux-lvm] how to remove PV from a VG?

Ryan Murray rmurray at cyberhqz.com
Wed Oct 20 15:10:05 UTC 1999

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 12:31:02PM +0200, Adrien Farkas wrote:
> Heinz Mauelshagen (mauelsha at ez-darmstadt.telekom.de) wrote :
> > > the subject says it (almost) all, I need to remove three PVs that were added to my VG by mistake (namely /dev/sdi, /dev/sdj and /dev/sdk), I guess you see where the error is. I can access data on previous PVs (yet), but don't know how to remove PVs, there is nothing linke 'pvremove'. I can assure you there is no data (perhaps except signature) on those disks.
> > >

> > vgreduce YourVG /dev/sd[i-k]
> >
> > - or, if the 3 partitions hold the only empty PVs of YourVG -
> >
> > vgreduce -a YourVG
>
> yes, helped quite enough, just the /dev/sd[ghi] devices are still in
> list of valid PVs and when I run pvscan my partitions get destroyed
> (I suppose because of rewriting LVM marker to the device).  How do I
> really, physically remove the devices from the PV list?

or, if you aren't using partitions, write over the front of the drive
with:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdg bs=1024 count=5

I'm not sure how much is actually needed to be overwritten, I normally
just don't put a limit on it and hit ctrl-c after awhile.  (or let it
run to the end of the drive...)

--
Ryan Murray (rmurray at cyberhqz.com, rmurray at glenayre.com)
Software Designer, Glenayre Technologies Inc.