[linux-lvm] A petition to get LVM into the kernel

Dominic J. Eidson sauron at the-infinite.org
Thu Sep 2 22:34:30 UTC 1999

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Luca Berra wrote:

> Good morining,
> In the kernel page of issue 9902 concerning the linux-lvm petition Jon
> Corbet states:
>
> '... Attempting to replace those criteria with "special interest group"
> pressure is not the way to get a better kernel. Hopefully those
> wanting LVM in the kernel can discuss the matter with Linus and find
> out what, if anything, is blocking that inclusion.'
>
> Actually before deciding to make a petition we did.
> in fact you'll find LVM in some of -ac patches.

Currently can be found in the 2.2.10-ac? and 2.2.11-ac? - patches.

> The idea of the petition came when someone reported to
> Heinz Mauelshagen the linux-lvm mantainer "that Linus wants to wait
> before putting LVM into the stock kernel to see if enough people are
> interested to have this."

>From http://linux.msede.com/lvm/mlist/archive/0286.html:

   Heinz Mauelshagen (mauelsha at ez-darmstadt.telekom.de)
   Sat, 21 Aug 1999 22:39:30 METDST
   --
   Hi everybody!

   Dirk Hohndel told me last week, that Linus wants to wait before putting
   LVM into the stock kernel to see if enough people are interested to
   have this.

   Because a feature freeze for 2.4 is already comming up, i hereby kindly
   ask everybody to convince Linus to put the LVM into the stock kernel.

   Send him mails please 8*)

> We decided that having a document that summarizes the reasons why
> we feel that LVM is needed in the stock kernel, and have it subscribed
> by anyone who is interested was the best way to let him know.

Seeing as the alternative was to spam Linus (I am sure that the man gets
enough e-mail, without getting spammed by endless messages about adding
LVM to the kernel), we decided that a good way of doing this would be to
collect signatures of those interested, and present the results to Linus
- this way he only gets one e-mail, instead of 264 (the current number of
signatures.)

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                         "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli