[linux-lvm] vgcfgrestore

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Wed Apr 12 17:14:48 UTC 2000

Hello,

Looks like I am going to have to resort to using vgcfgrestore as I get
the following error running vgscan:

vgscan -- removing "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- scanning for all active volume group(s) first
vgscan -- found active volume group "data_vg"
vgscan -- reading data of volume group "data_vg" from physical volume(s)

vgscan -- ERROR -364: can't get data of volume group "data_vg" from
physical volume(s)
vgscan -- ERROR -364 creating "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"

I assume with an error like that there is no way I am going to be able
to activate my logical volumes on the next reboot?

Also I haven't seen anywhere where it says that the logical volumes and
volume group must be offline when running vgcfgrestore other than this
piece at the end of the vgcfgrestore man page:

vgcfgrestore returns an exit state of 0 for success and > 0 for error:

       1  no physical volume on command line
       2  invalid physical volume name
       3  volume grou is active

So I will ask the question. Can vgcfgrestore be run on active logical
volumes and volume groups?