[linux-lvm] lvrename oddities

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Thu Aug 3 07:42:33 UTC 2000

Peter Wuestefeld writes:
> When booting, vgscan wipes out /etc/lvmtab.d and its contents as well as
> /etc/lvmtab.

Not that it is a fix for your problem, but I wonder about the reason for
using vgscan at boot time...  I know that this is what the LVM documentation
says to do, but _I_ would much rather have only "vgchange -a y" at boot time.
If LVM work needs to be done (PV/VG added or removed) the sysadmin should
know about it and be required to do something.  Nothing like having all of
your VGs dissapear after a reboot because a cable was disconnected...  At
most, it should do like AIX and simply mark the PV/VG as inactive or similar.

Cheers, Andreas