[linux-lvm] LVM and sw RAID1

Peter.Wuestefeld at resnova.de Peter.Wuestefeld at resnova.de
Thu Aug 24 10:37:43 UTC 2000

Hi,

I think you are trying to cure the wrong disease ;-)

> [root at dmna /root]# pvcreate -f /dev/md0
> pvcreate -- invalid partition type 0x83 for "/dev/md0" (must be 0x8e)

shows what is wrong:

try to set the partition id to 0x8e with fdisk/sfdisk/cfdisk - that should
solve the problem.

HTH,

Peter

Mit freundlichem Gruss/Best Regards

Peter Wuestefeld
IBM Certified System Administrator AIX 4.3
IBM Certified Support Professional AIX 4.3
==================================
res nova Unternehmensberatung GmbH
                   ...aktiv in AIX
MAIL:  Ruppmannstrasse 41
       D-70565 Stuttgart, Germany
FON:   +49 711 78888 0
FAX:   +49 711 78888 99
WWW:   http://www.resnova.de
SMTP: mailto: Peter.Wuestefeld at resnova.de

        -- Pablo Picasso

Andreas Dilger <adilger at turbolinux.com>
Sent by: owner-linux-lvm at msede.com
24.08.00 02:02

> pvcreate -- invalid partition type 0x83 for "/dev/md0" (must be 0x8e)
>
> [root at dmna /root]# pvcreate -f /dev/md0
> pvcreate -- invalid partition type 0x83 for "/dev/md0" (must be 0x8e)
>
> [root at dmna /root]# pvcreate -ff /dev/md0
> pvcreate -- invalid partition type 0x83 for "/dev/md0" (must be 0x8e)

Have you tried running "pvcreate -v -d /dev/md0"?  It may be that you
get some more clues with this.  Maybe even strace of the above.  It
looks like pvcreate is not getting the correct "dev" or "rdev" from the
inode...

Cheers, Andreas