[linux-lvm] LVM and sw RAID1

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Thu Aug 24 18:04:38 UTC 2000

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 11:47:23AM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Luca Berra write:
> > anyway i found the bug, well there is more than one preventing you to use
> > raid and LVM,
>
> Can you send your fixes to the list?  At least then everyone else doesn't
> need to fix the same bugs.  It would be even better if Heinz made a new
> bugfix release, but I watch the list for fixes anyways...
Andreas _please_ read my emails
i said that my fix was trashed due to fs failure, i will post it to
the list as soon as i write it again.
i posted what i remembered, tomorrow i dun't have to work so i will look
into it.
i also watch for fixes, i even made a nice big patch encmpassing
everithing that went on the list, sadly it was on a reiserfs fs.

> > fixed that and pvmoved everything onto my lvm+raid5 (fixing another bug
> > in the process).  Well, i discovered that reiserfs + LVM + raid DOES NOT
> > WORK, it actually filled 95% of my files with zeroes :)
>
> No journalling filesystem will work properly with RAID 5 - not reiserfs
> and not ext3.  You need to stick with a non-journalling filesystem, or
> use RAID1.  It may be that this is supposed to be fixed in 2.4, but I'm
> not 100% sure...

I probably dinna specify but it i am running 2.4.0-test7pre5
so i can confirm reiserfs not working on raid+lvm with 2.4
AFAIR the problem with journaling and raid was due to raid's usage
of the buffer cache during recnstruction, there was no reconstrucion
happening on my system. i will also try reiserfs on raid without
lvm, i cannot try ext3 since there isn't any patch for 2.4

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
    Communication Media & Services S.r.l.