Re: [linux-lvm] How do you mount a snapshot?

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 09:30:50PM +0100, Christian Limpach wrote:
> > Ok, so we are agreeing, it does not work on ext2 either unless you sync
> > and do not write between the sync and the snapshot. Doable, but not
> exactly
> > "safe".
>
> hmm, I think it works for ext2 because you can always mount an ext2
> filesystem even if it's in an inconsistent state.  This is what happens
> everytime when your machine panics and you need to fsck your disks during
> the reboot, the root filesystem is mounted read-only...  It's my

Ok, but then you have an inconsistant filesystem. Which is not exactly
what I think of as "works" or "safe". My point was that snapshots are
great, but don't make the problem of consistancy magically disappear.

-dg

--
David Gould                                                 dg suse com
SuSE, Inc.,  580 2cd St. #210,  Oakland, CA 94607          510.628.3380