[linux-lvm] [russell at coker.com.au: Re: lvm - I'll maintain it. - ITP lvm24]

lewis at sistina.com lewis at sistina.com
Thu Dec 14 15:24:57 UTC 2000

This from the debian devel list.  Is this a known issue with LVM 0.8.1?  I
haven't heard mention of it before.

----- Forwarded message from Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> -----

From: Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au>
To: lewis at sistina.com, debian-devel at lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: lvm - I'll maintain it. - ITP lvm24
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:05:03 +0100

On 2000-12-13 17:01, lewis at sistina.com wrote:
>> OK.  I'll create a new package named lvm24 which conflicts with lvm and
>> provides lvm.
>
>Umm...AFAIK, joe is still working on an LVM 0.9 package.
>
>BTW, What is this lvm24 you are talking about?  Have you seen that LVM 0.8.1
>and 0.9 are out now?

Naming the packages after the protocol would be a good idea if the protocol
numbers were known.  With raidtools/raidtools2 there is little confusion.
Naming a package lvm6 would not make things easier (even I am not sure yet
which version is which!).

I have packages of 0.8.1 and 0.9 under development.  0.9 seems to be for a
newer version of lvm than is in the 2.4.0-test10 kernel.

0.8.1 doesn't work correctly, it does not automatically update /etc/lvmtab.d
or create backups of the configuration which seems to be necessary.  I am
still playing with it.
Also lvm doesn't seem to be designed to work with devfs, I use devfs
exclusively so I'll try and get it going for devfs and for old style /dev.

Any input from other Debian or offers to test this would be appreciated.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
AJ Lewis
Sistina Software Inc.                  Voice:  612-379-3951
Minneapolis, MN 55414                  E-Mail: lewis at sistina.com
Current GPG fingerprint = 3B5F 6011 5216 76A5 2F6B  52A0 941E 1261 0029 2648

Quitters never win, and winners never quit,
but those who never quit AND never win are idiots.