Re: [linux-lvm] '/etc/init.d/lvm' script in debian package

Hi!

> Thanks for the suggestion about checking for a directory.  But how will I
> determine what version of LVM if it's a directory?  Will there be
> /proc/lvm/version?
$ head -n 1 /proc/lvm/global
LVM driver version 0.9 (13/11/2000)

> LVM isn't something that you want to be automatically loading on demand,
> either you need it or you don't.  If you need it then you will probably want
> to compile it in or put it in /etc/modules for loading on boot.
Yes.

A few ideas ...
1) if LVM is compiled into the kernel and /boot/System.map is reachable,
than it could be detected using e.g. 'grep lvm System.map'

2) if /usr/src/kernel/.config is reachable, than it could be detected
using e.g. 'grep -i lvm .config'

3) maybe doing a check for directories countaining 'group' in /dev would
be a usable idea...

Maybe it would be a good idea to put a /proc/lvmstat (similar to mdstat)
as default (not (un)selectable) into proc FS. This would solve most of our
problems.

Gergely