[linux-lvm] Can we make char files not blocked for the volumes

Chris Anderson chris at alwan.com
Mon Feb 21 22:45:06 UTC 2000

"Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 07:08:29 -0600, Chris Anderson <chris at alwan.com> said:
>
> > Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
> >> Please have a look at the rawio support for Linux.
>
> > Where can I find this?  In the kernel?  Any help would be great.
>
> 2.3 has it, and there are 2.2 patches on
>
> ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/sct/fs/raw-io

Thanks.  I used the link and download the files.

 It is odd how it is used.  I had to hack it into 2.2.14, but go it working.
I think the "raw" command is odd, also it needs to be run every time you
reboot.  Also who is the owner of this code. How does it find its way into
the standard 2.3 and lvm has not yet?  That is odd too.

My test with Informix IDS 7.3 for linux showed that the raw io is twice as
slow.  A 17 mins load under block device using lvm but took 31mins for the
raw linked version.  I will be testing the Informix 9.2 version tonight.  I
could not find much doc from informix other then the device need to be
char/raw.

Anyone using raw out there?  Did you find that you must call raw at reboot to
link back?  Who is the owner of the code?  What are the next step for the raw
code? Any thing would be great?

Thanks,

   Chris Anderson