[linux-lvm] Re: Preserving LVs

Holger Rauch hrauch at datech.heitec.de
Tue Jan 4 20:24:56 UTC 2000

Hi!

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

> Hapy new year Holger.
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > How can I preserve existing LVs (such as the ones used for the
> > "/usr/local" and "/home" fs) over new installations?
>

> If you don't touch the disks/partitions where the physical volumes forming
> the volume group containing your logical volumes reside, just do
> a vgscan after upgrading/reinstalling Linux (including LVM).

Well, in the beginning (immediately after an update or a new
installation) commands like "vgscan" are not available to me, since
they were delteted during the installation (probably they live under
/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin), and the file system(s) containing
these directories usually get lost during
repartitioning/reformatting. As long as I don't have that command
however, I can most likely not access any file systems that were
created on a LV (such as /usr/local or /home). Maybe I have to create
an initrd image in order to ensure that the commands as well as the
patched kernel is ALWAYS there and to preserve the /boot file system?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bye,

	Holger

Holger Rauch