[linux-lvm] 0.8i pvcreate doesn't recognise Mylex RAID

Jakma, Paul Paul.Jakma at compaq.com
Tue Jan 25 17:21:24 UTC 2000

> Any solution to this problem? Where can i teach pv_get_size about
> Mylex /dev/rd? Also does it matter that I'm using devfs and hence
> have long nested /dev/ path names?
>
> thanks,

Ok, it turns out to be related to the new devfs namespace. I grep'ed for
/dev/rd in tools/lib, and replaced the 2 occurances i found with
/dev/rd/disc0 and got LVM working.

So the problem is that the scanning functions only descend down one level.
Eg in my case the tools/lib/* routines know about /dev/rd, so only nodes in
/dev/rd will be found, which is not where they are in latest devfs.

However.. this begs the question:

Why in the name of god do the LVM tools use such elaborate and convulated
methods for verifying the supplied device name? LVM tools are effectively
tied to a very specific /dev namespace, and changing it is non-trivial.

I would much prefer that LVM tools only do basic sanity-checking on the
device file, and leave as much of the namespace policy/sanity as possible up
to the administrator. As is the Unix way. If i want to change my /dev the
LVM tools should be able to handle it.

Apart from this LVM works very very nicely. (apart from small issues which
I'll send a seperate mail about). LVM turns linux into a very capable
storage server.

Congratulations!!

-paul jakma
paul.jakma at compaq.com