[linux-lvm] Re: (reiserfs) Re: AIX JFS dual-mount

Tracy R Reed treed at ultraviolet.org
Sat Jan 29 20:26:14 UTC 2000

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 09:54:03AM -0800, Peter C. Norton wrote:
> GFS seems to require some support from hardware in the way of "dlocks", a
> not-too widely supported standard.  I think you'd need to have drives that
> implement dlocks, and that the lvm would have to know about them.  What
> would need to be done to the volume stuff to support dlocks?  Could any
> filesystem be built on top of a volume manager with dlock support?

There are two options: You can use dlocks with special drive firmware or you
can use a global lock manager over TCP with one of the hosts running the lock
manager. I was thinking the latter way might be possible for non-fibrechannel
setups.

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org
"She moves in mysterious ways"