[linux-lvm] Re: IBM to release LVM Technology to the Linux

Dale Kemp dale at inet.net.nz
Fri Jun 30 21:30:01 UTC 2000

Ben,

I'm beginning to wonder why IBM is even on this list every suggestion is for
a pure LVMS solution. You say you care about LMS but everything shows that
IBM only wants there LVMS solution. I understand that LVMS has extra
functionality, I suspect it has many more years of development put into it
than LMS. I also think its a great idea for IBM to port, since its good for
your
existing users and maybe new ones too. The point I'm trying to make is why
not have some common standard here, even my proposal you answered,
"The LVMS already does what you are talking about ... integration occurs in
the LVMS instead of in the user interface, ...". Again that's not the point,
this
is a one eyed view once again. lvms, lvms, lvms... You suggest solutions and
they are "LVMS does this, LVMS does that".
Maybe IBM still doesn't get the working with the community idea here,
people on this list have been very open minded regards LVMS and generally
understand what you are trying to do, and are happy about LVMS coming to
Linux. But most of the list wants you to help expand Linux and understand
that they want you to help with it overall. Maybe some of that LVMS interface
could be used in LMS, or atleast give Linux a standard concept of a volume
.vs. a partition, even if all the insides of each piece are completely
different.
See if you can answer without saying LVMS does this... And we can tell users
in the future "integration occurs in the LVMS instead of the user interface".

-- Dale.