[linux-lvm] LVM over MD on 2.3.x

Michael Marxmeier mike at msede.com
Mon May 15 09:35:13 UTC 2000

Forwarded message from Brian Kress (kressb at icp.siemens.com) ...

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 21:01:04 -0400
From: Brian Kress <kressb at icp.siemens.com>
Subject: LVM over MD on 2.3.x

	Since RAID 1/5 has finally been included in 2.3,
I can not try to get my setup working under 2.3.  I have
run into a problem with getting LVM working over RAID5. This
works under 2.2.x, with LVM 0.8i and RAID 0.90, but with
2.3.99pre8, it doesn't work.  I can get vgscan to find
the VGs, and I can get vgchange to activate them (with
a small hack to the source, anyway), but the kernel driver
has problems.  Any access to an LV returns the contents of
md0.  It looks like the LVM driver isn't remapping blocks
when used over raid.
	I remember Andrea Arcangeli posting to the
linux-kernel list about stacking block drivers and saying
something about this, but I can't find the post.
	Any idea what's going wrong and what I can do
fix it?

Brian Kress
kressb at icp.siemens.com